Real Robots is a term first seen in the Super Robot Wars franchise. Unlike Super Robots, who act like heroic semi-characters, Real Robots are treated like realistic tools/weapons. The first and most popular example of real Robots is Mobile suit gundam, although other examples are patlabor, Zoids, Idolmaster: Xenoglossia, and many more. There are several ways to discover if a robot is a real Robot or a Super Robot.
- The robot is used as an industrial machine and is produced by military or commercial enterprises of various nations.
- While Super robots use over dramatic weapons activated by voice commands while real robots use scaled up versions of natural weapons such as Laser/particle beams, guns, swords, and shields.
- Real robots use ranged weapons that require ammunition.
- Real Robots require periodic Maintenance.
- Real Robot do not have Limitless/regenerating fuel.
Although there are exceptions from the rules who have attributes of both real and super robots, such as Evangelions from Neon Genesis Evangelion and Aura Battlers from aura battler Dunbine. As more series are created, the genres mix more and more, although always more to one way than the other. Even Gundam has shown these signs such as characters with custom mechs or super human abilities these are common in super robot shows.